umba is looking for an Operations Intern to join our team. We are seeking an individual who can perform various duties related to operations. The intern will be exposed to a great deal of challenging experiences that align with a startup that is scaling rapidly. Under the supervision of an assigned Manager, this position will be responsible for assisting with a range of operation roles within the business.
This position will include the following responsibilities:
• Participates in special projects to support the companies goals.
• Develops and maintains positive business relationships with associates.
• Provides administrative support for day-to-day business activities for the assigned department.
• Interacts with the team to provide support, gather information, and prepare all materials related to presentations, spreadsheets, correspondence, etc.
• Assists in the definition of project scope and objectives.
• Maintains confidential and specialized files, documents, and records.
• Completes other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor's degree
• Preferred GPA of 3.0 or higher.
Knowledge, Skills, And Abilities
• Strategic and fast-paced thinker who quickly establishes and maintains credibility and trust.
• Strong written and verbal communications skills.
• Good accounting proficiency
• Possesses a high degree of drive and tenacity with a proven track record of achieving results and possesses a strong attention to detail and follow-up skills.
• Organized self-starter, with an ability to prioritize time-sensitive assignments.
• Needs to be able to work independently with minimal supervision.
• Proficiency in Microsoft computer skills (i.e. Word, PowerPoint, and Excel).
Must be a U.S. citizen.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled
umba’s LoanPay solution is shaping the e-commerce landscape of tomorrow with the most complete and exciting financing solution in emerging markets. Join umba as a sales executive and join our team in selling our LoanPay solution to e-commerce customers across Kenya.
• Work within the umba sales team and with our representatives
• Responsible for the team meeting sales targets
• Growth of umba's LonaPay business throughout the territory covered
• Developing a new revenue stream for umba LoanPay
• Building a strong working relationship with other members on the sales team
• Responsible for developing the sales team through motivating, coaching and staff selection
· Manage the complete sales cycle and achieve revenue targets in your territory
· Execute business and territory plans focused on strategic umba sales activities
· people management/leadership experience in an IT Sales environment (10+ years) within Kenyan market
· previous Sales Manager experience is essential (+5 years)
· Delivery against previous sales targets set and effective selling techniques
· Demonstrate the ability to help employees follow through with key requirements for excellent performance and personal development
· The ability to understand and effectively respond to the customers issues and to build credibility and customer confidence in umba's capabilities
· Ability to deal with complex problems, understand evaluate risks, apply personal insight and experience to business situations
· Ability to build and maintain strong collaborative partnerships with others
· Fluency in English and Swahili
· The ability to multi-task, progress several projects at the same time
· 3rd level education
We are looking for a Data Scientist that will help us discover the information hidden in vast amounts of data, and help us make smarter decisions to deliver even better products. Your primary focus will be in applying data mining techniques, doing statistical analysis, and building high quality prediction systems integrated with our products.
Our most complex system is our risk model, your day to day will include feature generation and model training using machine learning techniques, developing A/B testing procedures, implementing automated model retraining and creating new projects based on your findings.
Selecting features, building and optimizing classifiers using machine learning techniques
Data mining using state-of-the-art methods
Extending company’s data with third party sources of information when needed
Identifying new data sources to collect and generate predictive features for modelling efforts
Processing, cleansing, and verifying the integrity of data used for analysis
Doing ad-hoc analysis and clearly presenting results
Creating automated anomaly detection systems and constant performance monitoring
At least 2 years of recent hands-on coding with model and software design
A track record of projects completed on time – you are a flawless executor, not a procrastinator
You find satisfaction in a job well done and want to solve head-scratching challenges
Excellent understanding of machine learning techniques and algorithms, such as k-NN, Naive Bayes,
SVM, Tree based methods, etc.
Experience with Python and common data science packages, like Pandas, NumPy, Matplotlib etc.
Experience with machine learning frameworks such as Scikit-Learn, PyTorch and Tensorflow
Some experience with relational databases such as Postgres, RedShift etc.
Proficiency in using query languages such as SQL
Good applied statistics skills, such as distributions, statistical testing, regression, etc.
Good scripting and programming skills are a bonus
Data-driven decision making
Great communication skills
You’re so much fun to work with, that if you were working on the weekend, we’d want to join you.